Agri-Business is the new norm around the world – with small, sustainable, organic farms disappearing in place of large, industrial systems which deplete soil, mistreat animals, introduce chemicals, consume mass fossil fuels, genetically modify what we eat, and reduce nutritional value.
In this episode of the Eph & Jeff show, we introduce some of the issues with this system, and some potential solutions.
We mention a number of resources, and as promised, here are links to some of the sources we referred to:
- FoodTank.org (the food think tank – online resource on food)
- Food, Inc. (the movie and the book)
- Fooducate (app for smartphones)
- Grocery Store Wars (funny, short video introducing the ideas)
- Super Size Me (the movie)
- Genetic Roulette (the movie)
- Yuck! (short film of a 4th grader’s school lunches)
- Top Ten Genetically Modified Foods in the USA Today: Corn, Soy, Canola, Cottonseed (oil), Sugar Beets, Zucchini, Papaya, Yellow Squash, Alfalfa (animal feed), rBGH (animal growth hormone) – okay, the last one isn’t a GMO food, but it’s genetically created and influences the dairy from the cows injected.
And for your viewing pleasure, a photograph of Ephie in his Halloween costume. Oh yes.